She has long brown hair, styled up into pigtails and is fair-skinned. She has big, round glasses and wears casual clothing, such as long-sleeved sweaters and shorts. Her emblem is a heavy teardrop-spoked asterisk.
She's very sociable, friendly, and cheerful. Usually she's shy, but when she gains people's trust, she is very expressive. She's also kind as when Sakura Sakaki called her stick 'crappy' she didn't mind and just continued explaining her situation.
- She willingly let Kayo Komura copy her stick, but on the condition her and Kayo, as well as Sakura, could be friends.
- "Hiroko" translates to "rich child", "broad child", or "tolerant child" while "Shimozono" means "Lower garden".
- She says she uses her stick to make her bullies stay away from her, but at a cost no one wants to be her friend.
- She made her debut anime appearance on Episode 6, although it was a cameo. She was one of the many girls who appeared in the photographs.
- She was given the nickname "Noroko".